1. How are online transactions using cards (e-commerce) carried out and how is Strong Customer Authentication applied?
Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) is a payment process that applies to card transactions in online stores in countries within the European Economic Area (EEA)*.
At the time of payment, after entering the card details, you will be asked to authenticate yourself via a Piraeus Bank designated platform by using:
- push notification at winbank mobile app or
- winbank web banking credentials and extraPIN code
2. What should I have with me in order to make an internet purchase?
- If the winbank web banking service is used, you are required to have winbank web banking credentials, your card details and the mobile phone number you have declared to the Bank.
- If the winbank mobile app is used, you are required to carry your card details and the mobile phone number you have declared to the Bank.
3. I have excluded my card from winbank. Will I have trouble to make an internet purchase?
In order to be able to make an internet purchase with strong identification, you must cancel any restrictions you have given (View Only or Excluded) to your card (debit or credit or prepaid), by selecting "Full Access" in the winbank "Product Settings" menu.
4. How can I get winbank access?
If you do not have winbank access, here you can you can find instructions to register online easily and quickly. To complete your registration you will need to:
- Have your 16-digit debit card number and your mobile phone number you have declared to the Bank
- Remember your debit card PIN. If you do not have a debit card, please visit a Piraeus Bank branch.
Alternatively, you may sign up in winbank through any Piraeus Bank branch, with a fee according to Piraeus Bank pricelist.
5. Does the Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) process apply to all Piraeus Bank cards?
The Strong Customer Authentication process applies to all Piraeus Bank credit, debit, reloadable prepaid cards, owned either by individuals or businesses.
6. Does the Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) process apply to online card transactions in countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA)?
The process of Strong Customer Authentication is mandatory for card transactions in online stores established in countries within the EEA (ie an online merchant operating in a member state of the European Union, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein).
In countries outside the EEA, Strong Customer Authentication is not mandatory. However, Strong Customer Authentication is applied, if the merchant in these countries supports 3d secure protocol.
7. Can I make online purchases using my card (e-commerce) without Strong Customer Authentication?
For your own convenience, Piraeus Bank will not require Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) up to the amount of €100 for online transactions, under the condition that they comply with the specifications of Bank's security protocols. For amounts over €100 you will always be asked for Strong Customer Authentication (SCA).
8. Does the limit of €100 for card transactions in online stores that does not require Strong Customer Authentication apply to non-EEA countries as well?
The Strong Customer Authentication applies to card transactions in online stores located in:
- countries within the EEA.
- countries outside the EEA, as long as the merchant supports the 3d secure security protocol
9. Is there a limit on the number of online transactions under €100 using a card where Strong Customer Authentication does not apply?
No, there is no limit to the number of transactions.
10. I have a debit, credit and prepaid card. Will I have a single limit for all my cards?
No, each card has its own limit.
11. I have an add-on credit card. Will I enter my own winbank credentials?
Yes, you will enter your own winbank credentials and the mobile phone number you have registered when you signed up for this service.
12. How safe is it to register my winbank credentials on an online store where I intend to make a purchase using my card?
winbank credentials are NOT registered in online stores. The credentials are registered on a Piraeus Bank designated webpage. Piraeus Bank applies state-of-the-art systems and recognized security protocols to ensure your secure access to winbank services that safeguard your online transactions based on strict specifications.
13. I use winbank service with limited access. Can I use these winbank credentials in the Strong Customer Authentication process when I make online purchases?
Yes, you can. However, a prerequisite for receiving an extraPIN code by Viber/SMS is to declare your mobile phone number at winbank web banking service.
14. I have issued a virtual business prepaid card through winbank business web banking service. Since I do not have my own winbank, will I enter my winbank business credentials when Strong Customer Authentication is required in purchases by card?
Yes, you will enter your business winbank credentials.
15. I have additional corporate debit as well as additional corporate credit card. Which winbank credentials i am going to enter?
You will enter either your personal winbank credentials or your business winbank credentials and use the mobile number that has been registered when you signed up.
16. I signed up for winbank, can I now make an Internet purchase?
At least one login to winbank should be made first.
*European Economic Area (EEA): EU Member States and Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway